What is PDO & CNAOL ?
The Designation of Origin is a system that protects a cultural and gastronomic heritage.
The system guarantees the product’s origin and uniqueness.
It ensures that its production follows strict specifications established through traditional and ancestral know-how.
To be acknowledged as a Designation of Origin, a dairy product must:
• Originate from a determined region or zone
• Satisfy specific production regulations
• Have an officially established reputation
• Apply for and obtain Designation of Origin recognition from INAO and thereafter, apply for a PDO recognition from the European Union.
AOC = PDO
Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée: C as controlled by the INAO.
Protected Designation of Origin: P as protected by the European Union.
These two terms can only be delivered by these two official authorities.
Do you know what?
Since May 1st, 2009, consumers worldwide are able to discover the PDO logo or the written mention: « Protected Designation of Origin » on packaging of all products that obtained the French AOC logo and thereafter, joined the European PDO family.
CNAOL is the official organization that regroups all the French Dairy Designation of Origin bodies. To date, in France, 45 cheeses, 2 butters and 1 cream benefit from the Designated Place of Origin Appellation. They represent:
• About 17 000 farmers / producers
• 212 tons of cheese, butter and cream
• 17% of the global ripened cheeses
45 dairy products among the 48 benefit from the Protected Designation of Origin European recognition which is the equivalent of the French Controlled Designation of Origin.
CNAOL’s mission is to defend and to promote the dairy Designated Place of Origin products (AOC). Its goals are to create awareness and highlight the European logo, PDO as well as the above products and the values attached to the Appellation and the Protected Designation of Origin European logo which is the European equivalent of the French AOC. Thus, a second three-year information and promotional campaign, aimed at consumers started in 2007 till 2010. This campaign is financially supported by the European Union and FranceAgriMer.
CNAOL’s mission is not limited to French issues alone. It also participated in the creation of the following two associations:
• European Alliance for Artisan and Traditional Raw Milk Products (EAT): a European association for the defense of raw milk cheeses,
• Organization for an International Geographical Indication’s Network (ORIGIN): a worldwide association for the defense of products that benefit from the Protected Geographical Indications (PDO + PGI).
Do you know what?
CNAOL’s mission is not limited to French issues alone.